Kinglake Forest Adventures Camp is one of the safest forest based camps in Victoria from a bushfire perspective. Whilst the facility is in a high risk area as many camps are, it is the below four points that makes the difference. KFAC is a fully ACA accredited campsite with all the required and audited processes that that accreditation entails, including emergency management plans. Note these key points :
- We are one of the closest of all campsites to Melbourne being just 13 minutes away from Whittlesea in Melbourne’s Northern suburbs. As a result car or coach evacuation is very quick.
- ALL KFAC buildings were built in 2011 to Bushfire Attack Level 29 – a very high standard
- Our safe haven area is just 400M away and is a 50 Hectare totally un-treed and year-round market garden farm.
- We have a standing evacuation standby plan with Panorama Coaches based in Diamond Creek about 35 min away. If required the coaches are available at any hour.
Other measures/practices that relate to safety on hot days :
- We subscribe to CFA alerts and monitor them in our office and kitchen 24/7.
- The temperature in Kinglake is usually 4 deg cooler than in Melbourne due to altitude
- We conduct nearly all activities in shaded areas
- We constantly remind participants to be hydrated and sun-smart
- Our main buildings are fully air-conditioned
- We have a pool for cooling off.